5 4 3 2 1

A Movable Adventure

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Another loss

As much as I've nagged the boys about double and triple checking their hotel rooms before we check out so as they don't leave any of their possessions behind, you'd think I'd be a better example. But in all fairness, I was in a panic when we checked out so my toothbrush got overlooked. And it was my favorite pink one.

(My panic reads on the boys faces as we leave Monterosso through the tunnels to La Spezia.)

I misread our train tickets and left Monterosso for La Spezia about 30 minutes too late. No big deal except I'd pre-booked and paid for our connection from La Spezia to Pisa. And like a ripple effect, I'd pre-booked and paid for our Leaning Tower tour for 11:40. That would have give us a bit of a buffer so that when we'd arrive in Pisa we'd have time to check our luggage at the train station, get to the tower, pick up our pre-booked tickets and get in line.

(The boys try to exude positivity to help lower my pulse rate.)

We were about an hour behind but after moving very quickly, checking our luggage and race walking, we JUST made our Tower of Pisa tour. We literally jumped into the back of the group as they let us up the Tower steps! Whew. I felt I could finally relax!

(The relief reads on my face as we climb the tower!)

If you get motion sick, you may need Dramamine to climb the Leaning Tower. The stairs go up in a spiral pattern and you lean to the left on one side and the right on the other. It's the strangest phenomenon. You can go all the way to the top and get a fantastic view of Pisa. The Tower is so tilted it's incredible that they still let people up it, it looks like its going to topple at any moment! The boys peered over the edge and this time, refrained from spitting. (It's a guy thing.)

Of course we took the obligatory 'trick' photos:



After wandering around the 'Field of Miracles' we found a great restaurant where we could dine alfresco and enjoy an ice cold drink! We had four lasagnas all around!

And by now you know what makes lasagna better:

We wandered the streets of Pisa and got a look at the Arno.

I took a photo just to aggravate my sister:

Daniel demonstrated reason #47 for small suitcases at the steps of Pisa Centrale station:

We arrived in Florence and found the Albergotto Hotel without much trouble. It's five blocks from the Florence Santa Maria Novella train station and also has one of those cool foot washers:
Our hotel is three blocks from the Ponte Vecchio. The boys are pro's at the 'get together so I can take a photo' pose:
We had some calzones and then found something that looked interesting:

It's a sickness, really. Do they have GA? Like AA but for Gelato Anonymous?



1 comment:

  1. The prob with GA would be the people who would serve gelato for refreshments, lol. I lived on that stuff when we were in Italy . hazelnut! rose flavored! yum yum.

    fun to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete