5 4 3 2 1

A Movable Adventure

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Ca-shorts

About 4 years ago a friend of ours, Clark Carlile, told my boys an inspiring story. The gist of it was about how he and his friends cut the legs off some dress pants one summer and created their own special shorts.

My oldest son Dave, was so motivated by this incredible feat of ingenuity, that he took a pair of his jeans and cut the legs off. Voila!

They weren't really short enough to be shorts. Really they looked more like capri's. But, being a dude, 'capris' was NOT acceptable so he named them, ca-shorts. He wore them for two summers and even laced up a hole that developed. They had to stay home while he was on his mission for two years. (They are kind of famous in these parts. One friend even borrowed them while he was gone.) When he neared the end of his mission, he mentioned that he was really looking forward to reuniting with his ca-shorts.

As I've been pondering and dreaming up ingenious packing methods for our trip, I've had one quandary. I need long pants to stay warm on the airplane and maybe even to wear while in England. But in Egypt and Israel long pants will be a waste of space in my carry-on. So do I take capri's, which will not keep me warm on the plane? Do I take pants that will be seldom worn? It's a real conundrum. Long pants? Capri's? I can't take both.

And then - - I saw David in his ca-shorts. Genius! I'll take one and get both! Thanks Clark!




2 comments:

  1. I do believe the word you meant to use was "gist."

    Also, I don't understand the ultimate conclusion. Are you taking pants? Are you taking capris? Are you cutting your pants off to make capris?

    Also (again), 5 weeks of schlepping your crap around vs how many hours on a plane? If the main purpose of taking pants is to stay warm on the plane, isn't requesting 37 blankets from the flight attendant and/or being slightly uncomfortable for those few hours in flight easier than bringing pants to keep warm if packing space is at a premium?

    My suggestion: disposable pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Correction made. Thank you.

    2. If TSA allowed scissors in carry-ons, they would become ca-shorts.

    3. Can you request 37 blankets? Is there an outlet for my heating blanket? And where can I find disposable pants?

    ReplyDelete