5 4 3 2 1

A Movable Adventure

Thursday, July 29, 2010

I scream, you scream, we all scream...


You know what the best part about vacation is? Ice cream. And lots of it. Have a little breakfast and have a little ice cream. Have a little lunch, have a little ice cream. Have a little dinner, have a little ice cream. Then for a snack have a little ice cream. It’s not a problem when you are walking a lot, but when you are being chauffeured around on a tour bus… well, I only packed clothes that fit.

Wednesday started with a boat ride out into the middle of the Sea of Galilee where we had a nice little discussion and read from the scriptures about different events that occurred at that setting - what a way to begin a beautiful morning!

Our bus took us further north to Capernaum to view the remains of an ancient Jewish synagogue as well as visit the location they believe that Jesus taught the multitude the ‘Sermon on the Mount’, among other things. We had the opportunity to open our scriptures again and recount that timeless message.










The sites are all pretty packed with tourists; at least the Jewish ones. It’s the three-week break marking the day of the destruction of the ancient temple at Jerusalem and Rosh Hashanah - the one time of the year that all the Hasidic Jews take their holiday. We are good to go at the Christian sites but those that are significant to Jews are mob like.

Scott and I reminisced about our first visit to Tel Dan and how things were quite a bit different then. At that time swimming in the natural pool and under the waterfall was permissible and we were the only ones around. Now there is a boardwalk, signs, a caution and no way you can get in the water. But it’s still beautiful!









Just to petrify my mother I’ll let you know that we were at the border of Lebanon, then again at the border of Syria and passed through a Palestinian checkpoint. She won’t be concerned so much about me, but she’ll want to know that her grandchildren are safe.

We ended the day with a BYU/Jerusalem/Galilee tradition - one that my sisters will remember… St. Peter’s fish! And it’s still yucky! The kibbutz serves them as an entire fish. Heads. Tails. Skin. Needless to say, Drew will just fill up on ice cream.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link!! I just had fun reading about your trip so far!! You are a great writer and I feel like I am right along side as you describe your adventures. I'm glad you are having such a great time. It is interesting to hear of the changes.

    I also loved reading about London. We leave in two weeks and you made me want to add some more things to our list after reading what you have done.

    I will be following your adventures now. Thanks

    ReplyDelete