5 4 3 2 1

A Movable Adventure

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Take your pick

Saturday in Israel mean it’s the Sabbath - and that includes us. However, it didn’t seem much like a day of rest. We kept the same breakneck speed. I can’t say that I would do it any other way. There is just too much to see in too short a time.

We did spend a bit of time on our feet today, which makes me feel a little better about eating all that ice cream. A little. See if you can keep up:

First stop, the Church of all Nations, which is situated on the Mount of Olives just ‘a stones cast’ from what has been identified (by some) as the Garden of Gethsemane. 24 years ago it was possible to wander among the ancient olive trees but not today! Stay on the path - the trees are still impressive though with some up to 2,000 years old. (They wouldn’t survive with my green thumb.)

Then to a little slope/park that is quiet and beautiful called the Orson Hyde Memorial Park. It’s not far from the Church of all Nations but many of us in the LDS faith feel more comfortable with this being the setting for the Atonement. It was really special to slowly snake our way up the path of the park to an amazing view of the Golden City.

It absolutely blew my mind when I saw the BYU Jerusalem Center for the first time today. UN BEE LEE VA BLE. Manicured grounds, stone hallways, offices, auditorium and the view! I’m going out of a limb here and declaring that my experience living with kosher Jews in a kibbutz, while not as comfortable was better in every way. Except for the soft serve ice cream.

We took a photo with Clark Anderson who was also a student in 1986. He was a fresh, 18 year old, high school graduate then. Today he is a knowledgeable and perfect tour guide to the city he loves.

After our church services at the Jerusalem Center we checked out two different locations in Jerusalem that both claim to be the spot that Jesus was crucified. First, the gaudy, crowded and dark Church of the Holy Sepulcher. Run by three different religious groups they profess to have the rock where Jesus was crucified as well as laid when taken from the cross.

The second location and the one that I am more comfortable with for several reasons is the simple, open and quiet Garden Tomb. The Anglican Church manages this location and volunteers are happy to give you a tour. They point out ‘Golgotha’ or ‘place of the skull’ as well as a hushed ancient tomb. Here is a preview of our Christmas card!


1 comment:

  1. This is all so fascinating to me!! I love it!! I can feel like I am there with you. It is so fun to see the pictures and read your words. I can even smell the smells as I read. Weird huh?!
    Thanks for inviting me to share in your adventure!

    ReplyDelete